Friday, August 29, 2025
Friday, August 29, 2025
HomeNewsFire in Karachi factory reportedly started in basement, rescue confirms

Fire in Karachi factory reportedly started in basement, rescue confirms


Fire in Karachi factory reportedly started in basement:

A devastating fire in Karachi factory reportedly started in basement, rescue officials confirmed on Wednesday, sparking chaos and destruction in the Landhi Export Processing Zone. The fire, which quickly spread to nearby industrial units, has been declared a third-degree blaze, requiring an urgent, large-scale response.

According to fire brigade officials, at least 16 fire tenders and two water bowsers were dispatched to the scene. The fire began in the basement and led to a structural collapse — first one section fell, followed by another, completely demolishing the building.

Seven injured workers have been rescued so far, but emergency responders fear that further injuries or fatalities could occur if the fire isn’t contained soon. The Karachi rescue authorities noted a dangerous escalation in fire intensity and said the situation remains critical.

One nearby factory reportedly holds gas cylinders, raising alarm over the possibility of explosions. Emergency services have called for additional water and firefighting foam to help douse the flames.

A Pattern of Industrial Disasters

This is the second major industrial fire in Karachi in recent weeks, raising concerns about poor fire safety compliance and inadequate infrastructure in the city’s industrial hubs. Residents and workers in the area have been vocal on social media, questioning how such disasters continue to occur unchecked.

Official Response and Investigation

Deputy Mayor Karachi Salman Abdullah Murad confirmed that more fire trucks were dispatched as the situation escalated. “Our top priority is to extinguish the fire as soon as possible,” he said, adding that the Water Corporation has also sent water tankers to assist.

Murad has called for a full investigation into the incident to determine the root cause of the blaze and to identify any negligence or safety violations by factory management.

Chief Operating Officer of Rescue 1122 confirmed that no casualties have been reported so far, although structural damage has been extensive. Rescue official Abid Sheikh stated that it may take up to four more hours to fully extinguish the fire and that foam will be used if necessary.

READ MORE: FIA Arrests Human Traffickers in Lahore Linked to Greece Boat Tragedy

EPZ Chairman Assesses the Site

Export Processing Zone Chairman A.D. Khawaja visited the site and reported that the first fire tender arrived shortly after 10:30 AM. As flames intensified, more help was called in. He assured the public that high-level coordination is ongoing with the Karachi Commissioner and the head of Rescue 1122.

Khawaja also noted that the affected factory was involved in recycling old clothes, a process that often involves flammable materials.


spot_img

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

spot_img

Latest article